Aging Parents and Elder Care logo

Support Group

Find Senior Care Services for Your Loved One

We have partnered with A Place for Mom to help you find the right senior care services for your loved one. A Place for Mom has established a nationwide network of carefully screened senior care providers and facilities ... everything from home care and assisted living to specialized memory care facilities. We are pleased to bring their referral service to you free of charge. (A Place for Mom is paid by their participating senior care providers and facilities.)

A Place for Mom has been helping seniors and their families find the best senior care for their needs and budget for over 10 years. Their knowledgeable and compassionate Senior Living Advisors will guide you through your search and can provide local support and resources. Let A Place for Mom help you online or call toll-free (877) 311-6092.

Sign up

  Author   Comment  
donnaf for Molly Tx
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Molly,
Ok my DH and I have not filed yet this year. Do I have to have a death cert to file this time since he won't be signing? We always filed jointly.

How will that affect the stimulas payment?

I hope I'm not being too forward by asking these questions.

Thanks for any hepl on this matter.
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Donna, Glad you asked and thrilled to help.

You do not need a death certificate to file the return.  You will still file a joint return for both 2007 and 2008 (you better do some tax planning for 2009 because it is a "surprise" when people shift to the single rates).  There is a Form 1310 which must be attached to returns on anyone who is filing for a refund who is not the spouse; but, that will not apply to you.  You will sign the return in his signature spot with your normal signature (underneath your name put the words "Filing as surviving spouse."  Then you will also sign the return as spouse where you would normally sign. These returns are still eligible to be efiled (some cannot be efiled).

You will still receive the stimulus payment for you and your husband (probably the full $1,200 since you have wages).

Glad to help.


donnaf-A Soldier's Mom
Reply with quote  #3 
Thank You Molly! I won't be e-filing because we will probably owe rather than recieve money. Thanks for the tip on filing for 2009. HR dept at work told me the same thing. You have been so helpful.
Reply with quote  #4 
You're welcome...if you hit a snag when working it up, email me.


Previous Topic | Next Topic

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.