Aging Parents and Elder Care logo

Support Group

Find Senior Care Services for Your Loved One

We have partnered with A Place for Mom to help you find the right senior care services for your loved one. A Place for Mom has established a nationwide network of carefully screened senior care providers and facilities ... everything from home care and assisted living to specialized memory care facilities. We are pleased to bring their referral service to you free of charge. (A Place for Mom is paid by their participating senior care providers and facilities.)

A Place for Mom has been helping seniors and their families find the best senior care for their needs and budget for over 10 years. Their knowledgeable and compassionate Senior Living Advisors will guide you through your search and can provide local support and resources. Let A Place for Mom help you online or call toll-free (877) 311-6092.

Sign up

  Author   Comment  
Rebecca W

Posts: 1
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all, I'm new here and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.  My mom is 83 and requires full time home care.  My dad passed away 10 years ago and left her fairly well off, but I have recently been made aware that with her current monthly expenditures (24 hour home care, normal bills, etc.) she will be out of money in 2-3 years.  Her health is not great, but not terrible either.  My biggest issue is that my adult brother (who is a total deadbeat and has never held a job) takes her credit card and uses it for his purposes, he'll take cash out of her wallet, and he expects her to pay all his bills - rent, phone, cable tv and more!  He seems to think that her money is a never ending pot of gold, and she refuses to cut him off for some reason.  Is there a way we can deal with him legally so he can't continue wasting her money?
Reply with quote  #2 
I'm sorry you are going through this.  Is she aware that he is stealing from her?  If she is competent and okay with it, you may not get too far, but if she is incompetent or not okay with it, you could file a complaint with Adult Protective Services, and have them do an investigation. If he is using her credit card without her permission, that is a serious crime.

Another option might be to convince her to manage her money differently.  Would she consider 1) using direct deposit and online bill paying (which might allow you to then hide the checks and credit card[wink] or 2) moving her assets to a new account that he cannot get access to; or 3) putting your name (or someone else's name who she trusts) on her accounts and giving them custody of the checkbook and credit cards; or 4) not keeping cash around? 

If she can prove he is stealing from her and she is willing to press charges, you could also call the police or the attorney general's office. A lawyer may also be able to give you advice on how to proceed.

Reply with quote  #3 
I  put a semicolon next to the parenthesis, and now there is an emoji there!  Sorry about that. [wink]
Reply with quote  #4 
You should definitely consult a lawyer for this. Convenience your mom not to let him waste all her money. Professional lawyer services can help you at the worst time of need. Surf the internet to look for some great site to hire a good lawyer to make your mom's future secure. Hope all things are sorted soon!
Previous Topic | Next Topic

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.